Beautiful People is blog meme that runs monthly. It is hosted by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In. Each month there are 10 questions to answer about characters from a work in progress. I think it’s a great way of delving further into a character’s life, and it also gives readers a glimpse into information they may not otherwise know.
I decided to answer the questions in relation to Lena, the main protagonist in some of my short stories. I enjoyed getting to know her, and her world, a little better.
1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
Lena has only ever tasted synthetic ice cream created by the replicators aboard the ships and space stations she has lived on all her life. But of the flavours she has tried, strawberry is her favourite. She longs to taste real strawberries, and real strawberry ice cream.
2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
She doesn’t really get nights out. She attended a dance party a couple of times when she was a teenager, but found she didn’t enjoy being among so many people in close quarters.
3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
She wears boots. They are worn, synthetic leather, the laces threatening to fall apart. They are comfortable, so she doesn’t want any new ones, and dreads the day she is forced into it. She hates any type of shoe that exposes her feet, or doesn’t offer the same level of protection for her feet.
4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
She has a scar on her left upper arm. She got it in a fight with a Carnite.
5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
Music still exists in Lena’s time, but it’s not as easy to access. There isn’t a music industry as we know it. Musicians travel around, selling recordings of their songs to those who can afford to purchase them.
She prefers soft music. A voice and a guitar, or simple instrumental music. She has also heard some “old” classical music and quite likes that too.
6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
No, Lena isn’t musical at all.
7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Non-fiction more than fiction. She enjoys reading tales of others’ adventures, or historical texts, and scientific articles as well.
8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
She hasn’t had a holiday since she was a child when her father used to take her and her brother to one of the nature preserves. These are conserved “bubbles” on planet surfaces that hold the remnants of Earth’s nature. She loved going to them, but seldom has the time or money anymore.
9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
She could be doing anything. If there is nothing pressing, and she’s not gotten into some misadventure, then she could be lazing around with Zinna, eating cake, or reading and eating cake. (She really likes cake. 😀 )
10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?