I got the idea for this post from blondewritemore, who kindly let me borrow her time machine to go back a year and take a peek at my life then. If you want to follow suit, I’m sure she’d let you have a go in it. You just have to ask nicely. 🙂
There are many things that have changed since February 2014. These include:
1. I wasn’t blogging. This is the biggest change in the last 12 months. The idea had occurred to me, but I honestly had no real idea about what you put in a blog, or how you get people to read it, or anything else really. I’m glad I did take the plunge though – finally, in August last year. Wow, it doesn’t seem that long ago!
2. I hadn’t started writing short stories. I still looked at them with fear. Now I love them.
3. I hadn’t really engaged much in the writing community, and I definitely had never had any feedback on my writing. This first happened during the summer when I took an online creative writing course. the boost to my self-esteem was amazing, and what inspired me in the end to start a blog. I thought that it would be a good way to start getting my writing out there and get some opinions on it. It’s sort of worked.
4. On a more personal note, I hadn’t started to face up to one of my many demons. I was ill, and looking at what seemed like a brick wall of impossibility in front of me. Things have started to get better. Sort of.
5. I hadn’t ever done a MOOC before. I love them now. They seemed something to be feared, but the experience of learning and interacting with other learner online has been invaluable. I have learned a lot that has fuelled inspiration for my writing. Which was part of the point.
I think they’re all the major changed in my life in the last year. I’ve grown a lot in the past 12 months. Faced some demons. Grown in confidence. Developed ways to cope with hard things. Gotten better and more experience at writing.
All good things. 🙂
PS: Thank you to all who have made this blogging experience a pleasant one.