The New Year always feels like a funny time for me. I don’t really celebrate it. I don’t go out drinking, or watch fireworks, or anything like that. Makes me feel old, but I’m usually in bed at midnight. 🙂
One thing I do like about the 1st January is it feels like a chance to make a fresh start in life. There are things that I’ve been putting off and struggling with. New Year, New Start. That’s what I’m telling myself. There are no guarantees it’s going to work. All I can do is try.
On the writing side of my life, I’m not setting any resolutions, just giving myself a list of things that I would like to see done/completed in 2015. These are:
- Finally finish the edits on my 2013 NaNo novel, Into the Unknown
- Re-read and edit a story I’ve been working on since 2008. It’s been on the back-burner since I finished it for Camp NaNo in July, so I think it’s about time I dealt with it and made it into the great story I believe it can be.
- Edit Storyteller, the first part in a series, and my April Camp NaNo project.
- Finish the last story in a series I started many years ago. I don’t plan on doing anything with these stories, they’re just a part of my past that I would like to see completed. I want to get them printed using Createspace or something similar. Just to see them in my hands will be enough.
- I have a series of flash fiction pieces that I’ve been writing throughout this year. I want to re-write them in a different perspective and publish them on this blog. They’re not fantasy, but something that’s come from within me that I feel the need to share. I also want to keep writing them, one a month in my minimum. I slipped up once this year due to illness and increased life-business, but otherwise my output has been pretty good. Which I’m pleased with.
- Write a short story that’s connected to Into the Unknown. I don’t think the novel introduces the characters and world well enough, and I like the idea of having a series of short stories based in that world, so I’m going to make a start on that this year as well.
- And lastly, but not leastly ( 🙂 ), I want to write a piece of flash fiction at least once a month, more frequently if possible. I want to make sure I have something that I can write once a day, even if it’s just a few hundred words.
So, lots to aim for. Listing it like that is slightly daunting. I hope I’ll achieve it all, that life won’t get in the way, or the good ol’ procrastination. I’m starting the year with determination. I just need to hold onto the reasons why I’m doing this:
- I love writing and can’t live without it
- I want to improve my writing to the point where I’m as good as I can be (I know this isn’t something that can be achieved overnight, but every small step counts.)
- I want to be published. One way or the other. That’s my major goal. I want my writing out there for other to see and enjoy. I want to inspire people, help them through hard times, give them hope that things can get better.
Lofty ambitions, huh?
One last thing. I want to thank everyone who’s come by my blog since I started earlier in the year. I’ve had more fun than i thought I would creating it and writing on it. It’s opened up a world that I never thought I’d even hover on the edges of. So happy New Year. I hope 2015 brings you all you desire and more.